I love to take leftovers and transform them into something amazing. thus the leftovers from my fantastic Gluten Free Crock Pot Salsa Chicken morphed into this outrageously good gumbo.
We live in the south. While at the grocery store I came across some frozen okra and asked Alan if he had ever tried it. Surprisingly enough he had never had this southern staple vegetable. I had always had it fried as a child. I was wondering how to make it delicious and gluten free and then it hit me… gumbo. I had picked up some Aidells Cajun Style Sausage
on special and could not wait to try it. I was super excited to get home and begin filling up my slow cooker with yum.
This recipe turned out to be so simple and so good I had two bowls. I didn’t even need to chop onions or peppers as I had reserved the leftover salsa chicken liquid and it was plenty flavorful.
- leftover chicken and reserved stock from Gluten Free Salsa Chicken
- 1 pack Aidell's or other brand Gluten Free Cajun Sausage (12 to 16 ounce)
- 1 to 1.5 pounds frozen okra
- 2 tbsp minced garlic (We use Costco Brand)
- Toss leftover chicken and reserved stock in crock pot.
- Cut sausage into ½ inch slices and add to crock pot.
- Toss in frozen okra and minced garlic.
- Heat on high for 45 minutes.
- Eat and enjoy.