It was a few days before Christmas and I was out of my favorite corn free (corn lite actually) powdered sugar. There was no way I was driving the 30 minutes to whole paycheck to get some during the height of last minute Christmas shopping craziness. I needed a tasty frosting to ice my Betty Crocker Devil Food Cake Mix cupcakes that I planned to have as part of our Christmas eve calorie fest. I decided to try my hand at german chocolate frosting as no powdered sugar would be necessary. I drove the 2 minutes to the local Food Lion and grabbed the pecans and coconut shreds. The line was fairly short and the whole trip took less than the 30 minute drive out to whole foods would have. Yay! I had never made german chocolate icing before. I had always been the girl who grabs the convenient tub of Dunkin Hines and applied it liberally to cakes and cupcakes. Easy peasy. Of course with my new intolerance to corn that is no longer an option. I was surprised at how fantastic this frosting was. I couldn’t quit eating it by the fingerful. If you love coconut and pecans this frosting will amaze you too.
This recipe makes a lot of frosting. That left a bunch leftover to freeze,or eat by the spoonful or better yet slather on my Best Coconut Flour Chocolate Mug Cake Ever. I like that I can pull out premade frosting from the freezer for those unexpected “crap I need to bring a dessert” moments.
- 1 15 or 16 oz can of full fat evaporated milk
- 2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 2 sticks butter
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups chopped pecans
- 2 2/ cups shredded coconut
- Combine the first five ingredients in a large pan over low heat.
- Stir constantly until thickened which will take about 10 minutes.
- Mix in coconut and pecans and stir.
- If you want the icing to make pretty dribbles down the sides of your cake ice the cake before the icing cools. To ice cupcakes or for a thick easily spreadable icing wait until icing is completely cool before use.
- This will ice a two layer cake. It freezes well for later use if you have too much or you can eat it with a spoon.