Homemade Southwest Quinoa Meatless Meatballs – Gluten Free And Vegetarian
I attended the G+ Bloggers Conference on Saturday morning. In talking about how topics trend on twitter the host used an example of #meatballmondays . We all thought it was pretty funny since #meatlessmondays usually trends weekly. I decided to turn this into an opportunity to create a new recipe and test out a social media theory as well. I think due to the number of bloggers that attended the conference and the creative and often silly nature of said bloggers that #meatballmondays may actually trend this week. Weather it does trend or not I have a fantastic new recipe to share. I love chances like these where I am pushed to create a dish I would never have attempted on my own. The test batch just came out of the oven and they are fantastic. They are slightly spicy and smokey from the paprika and the quinoa gives them a true meaty texture. These were so simple to make and the amount and kind of veggies can be altered to fit what is leftover in your refrigerator.
- 1¼ cups cooked quinoa
- ⅓ cup onion diced fine
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- ½ cup rotel tomatoes with green chiles drained juices reserved
- ½ cup plus 2 tbsp yellow summer squash seeds removed diced fine
- ⅓ cup Betty Crocker Potato Buds or other potato flakes
- 2 eggs
- ½ tsp lime juice
- ⅛ tsp smoked paprika
- ⅛ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup reserved rotel juices
- Cook quinoa according to my easy quinoa cooking directions or directions on package.
- While quinoa is cooking, chop onions and squash. I used my Swiss Slap Chop Mini Chopper but any food processor will do. Open Rotel and drain saving liquid for later. Chop rotel finely using food processor.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Measure out veggies and garlic. Add onions, squash, rotel, garlic, and lime juice to a pan on the stovetop and cook over medium to medium high until onions are soft and translucent-about 5 minutes.
- Beat eggs until light in color and slightly thickened. I just threw them in my food processor.
- Mix together quinoa, eggs, and cooked veggies.
- Add smoked paprika, chili powder, salt, and potato buds.
- Mix until well combined.
- Roll into meatball sized balls and place on a greased parchment paper lined cookie sheet.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
On a side note there was a section of the conference titled How to develop gluten free recipes. My blogging buddy Jodi over at Know Gluten was one of the co-hosts. She did a fantastic job! In talking about baking with coconut flour she brought up a screenshot of my Best Coconut Flour Chocolate Mug Cake Ever as an example thus making my day! You should check out her site as well. Jodi’s site is a gluten free beginners guide with tons of easy gluten free recipes and information.
Posted on: Gluten Free Fridays