Fantastic Gluten Free Crock Pot Pork Roast with Sauerkraut
Alan could eat meat all day long for every meal and be happy. I on the other hand could give or take it. This dish works well for both of us since there is plenty of extra sauerkraut and cabbage for me to nom on. I used the sauerkraut juices as the liquid in this recipe and used the sweetness of apples to tone down the extra tang that it gives the dish. The juices also take the red cabbage and turns it into tangy sauerkrauty goodness. It is like when you use a starter amount of yogurt to make homemade yogurt. I(f you love sauerkraut you will love this dish. If you are less of a fan you could replace the sauerkraut juices with a bottle of gluten free beer.
- 3 to 4 lb pork roast
- sauerkraut 2 lb jar
- 1 small head red cabbage chopped or shredded
- 2 medium apples peeled and sliced (I used Gala)
- Small handful baby carrots (optional)
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- Sprinkle pork roast with salt and pepper.
- Brown pork roast under broiler or in a skillet for about 7 minutes to seal in the juices.
- Mix entire contents of sauerkraut jar with half of the red cabbage and half of the apples.
- Place in bottom of crockpot.
- Lay pork roast in on top.
- Top the pork roast with remaining cabbage apples and carrots.
- Sprinkle on the minced garlic.
- Cover and cook on high for at least 4 hours up to 6 hours.
- Eat and enjoy!